The Cedar Canyon Community has grown immensely over the past 2 years, and it’s time for us to host our very first Community Challenge! The Shape Shifter concept has so many possibilities – and a Challenge is the perfect way to kick off the year. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!
1. Create a piece of fabric using Paintstik Colors, at least one Cedar Canyon Rubbing Plate and the Shape Shifters technique from our recent series on the Blog. Here are the links to the first 3 articles:
Lesson 1: Shape Shiftin’ Fun With Shiva Paintstiks
Lesson 2: Shape Shifter 2: Trade & Twirl
Lesson 3: Shape Shifter 3: Working on a Larger Scale
Lesson 4: Shape Shifter 4: Shadow Play (to be released next week)
2. Turn your fabric into a wall hanging or a handbag.
Wall hangings must be at least 12″ x 12″ and no larger than 20″ x 13″ (in honor of the year 2013, of course)!
Handbags must fit in a medium Priority Mail Flat Rate Box (13-5/8″ x 11-7/8″ x 3-3/8″). You can make a slightly larger bag if you don’t mind having the sides folded in a bit when it is shipped back to you. I recommend using a bag pattern from Lazy Girl Designs – the instructions are always accurate and there are lots of great styles available. (I’ll be making a new Candice bag because she is the perfect size for my iPad.)
Your finished quilt or bag must weigh no more than 1.5 pounds.
3. Embellish as desired. Your ShapeShifter rubbings must be readily identifiable, but you are welcome to add stitching, beading, and other embellishments. (Keep the weight restriction in mind when you add embellishments.)
4. To be considered for the challenge, send two low-resolution images (one showing the full project and one detail shot) of your quilt or bag via email by March 1, 2013. Send the images to email@example.com with the words “Shape Shifters” in the subject line.
Please include your contact information (name, email address, shipping address and phone number) and a brief description of how you created your fabric. If you make a bag, please provide information about your bag pattern.
5. Finalists will be posted on the Cedar Canyon Blog by March 14, 2013. If you are a finalist, we will notify you by email and we will provide you with a shipping address at that time. Please wrap you entry in a plastic bag before packing it for shipping to prevent water damage.
6. If accepted as a finalist for photography, your artwork must be in our headquarters office by April 1, 2013. At that time, include a flat shipping and handling fee of $15 (US), $20 (Canada) or $30 (all other international addresses). This fee will cover the return of your artwork to you.
The Fine Print
By submitting your quilt or bag for this contest, you are authorizing Cedar Canyon Textiles to publish images of your artwork in future issues of Fabric Art Magic Newsletters, in Cedar Canyon ads, on our Blog and on any other Cedar Canyon Textiles e-media, as well as to display your art in our booth at Spring Quilt Market.
Entry fees must be paid in US dollars and made payable to Cedar Canyon Textiles.
Cedar Canyon Textiles will not be held responsible for loss or damage due to circumstances beyond our control.
Send questions to Shelly Stokes at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your first and last name along with your question.
Shape Shifter Challenge Calendar
March 1, 2013 – Low-resolution images must be sent to email@example.com
March 14, 2013 – Finalists will be posted on the Cedar Canyon blog and finalists will be notified
April 1, 2013 – If accepted, your quilt or bag must be in our offices by April 1st along with your shipping and handling fee.
June 17, 2013 – Artwork will be returned during this week.